The federal government suspended dozens of research grants to Princeton, the University said in a statement Tuesday morning. According to the White House and the Department of Education, the pause was due to an ongoing investigation into antisemitism on campus, CNN reported.
In the past year, a wide swath of Jewish campus leaders have criticized outside characterizations of antisemitism, while others have alleged that the University administration failed to act. In conversations with The Daily Princetonian, while some Jewish student groups were outspoken in their opposition to the cuts, several Jewish leaders avoided giving their opinion on the matter.
In an interview with ‘Prince,’ Rabbi Gil Steinlauf ’91, the executive director of the Center for Jewish Life, acknowledged that while he had concerns, antisemitism was not a defining problem on campus. Steinlauf did not directly address the cuts in the interview.
“Jewish students on Princeton’s campus — to a very great majority — all experience a sense of feeling physically safe on campus,” he said. “There are real concerns, serious concerns, in the Jewish community about some of the discourse and rhetoric around anti-Zionism … but the fact that these elements exist at Princeton in no way is unique to Princeton University.”
Rabbi Eitan Webb, the director and co-founder of Princeton’s Chabad House, wrote in a statement that there was more work to be done for Jewish students on campus. However, he noted that the campus climate “has significantly improved from last year.”
Neither rabbi directly addressed the cuts. Several student groups had much more forceful reactions.
“As part of J Street, we think that this administration is using antisemitism as a dog whistle and a tool to further their agenda and their assault on higher education, and so we wholeheartedly oppose the implementation of these funding cuts under the guise of combating antisemitism,” said Maddy Denker ’27, membership chair for J Street U. J Street is a self-described “pro-Israel, pro-peace” national advocacy group.
“I think my main reaction was just bewilderment, because I think the University does a really good job at reaching out to and accommodating Jewish students,” she added.
Elena Eiss ’28, a leader in the Alliance of Jewish Progressives (AJP), said that cutting federal funding would not protect students from antisemitism. Eiss, who is also a leader for J Street U, said she was only speaking on behalf of AJP.
“[If non-Jewish students believe that] their internships, their research grants have been cut in the name of protecting Jewish students ... I wouldn’t be surprised if this actually sparks more antisemitism than there was on campus before,” she stated.
Max Meyer ’27, the president of Tigers for Israel, declined an interview and did not directly address the question of his opinion on the cuts, but expressed agreement with the administration’s position in a written statement.
“I am grateful for the Trump administration’s efforts to combat antisemitism on college campuses. I am hopeful that the University will work with the White House to rid academia of its pervasive moral rot for the benefit of our campus and our nation,” he wrote.

The Department of Education first started investigating Princeton after Zachary Marschall, editor-in-chief of the right-wing outlet Campus Reform — who has no affiliation with the University — filed a complaint alleging antisemitism at the University last April. The complaint largely pertains to chants at pro-Palestine rallies in October 2023.
Christopher Bao is a head News editor for the ‘Prince.’ He is from Princeton, N.J. and typically covers town politics and life.
Please send any corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.