Second half substitutions lead men’s soccer in comeback against Columbia

Five men in princeton uniforms celebrate after a goal
Men’s soccer earned their third Ivy win of the season Saturday, with goals from Nico Nee and Gabriel Duchovny.
Photo courtesy of Go Princeton Tigers

The Princeton men’s soccer team (6–5 overall, 3–1 Ivy League) are back to their winning ways after their weekend trip to New York City, where they defeated the Columbia Lions (1–9–1, 1–2–1) 2–1 on Saturday afternoon. Despite conceding a goal early, the Tigers dominated the game offensively and bounced back in the second half to secure the victory.

The Tigers came into the match hungry to score, having lost their previous two matches with very narrow 1–0 score lines to both No. 16 Cornell (9–2–2 overall, 2–2 Ivy League) and Army West Point (4–9–1, 1–5 Patriot League). 

“You could tell there was some frustration,” Head Coach Jim Barlow ’91 told The Daily Princetonian, referring to the Tigers’ last two games, where they had a combined 30 shots and 10 on target. “We had generated a good number of scoring opportunities and did not convert.”

The Lions came into the match focused on stopping junior forward Daniel Ittycheria, the Tigers’ top goalscorer this season. Within the first few minutes Ittycheria was nearly through on a one-on-one, but Columbia’s defense crowded him out and would continue to try to deny him any space for the remainder of the day.

Within five minutes, the Tigers conceded a corner, which Columbia’s Jack McDaid lobbed into the far post for Rafa Romo to convert on an easy header for a Lions lead. 

The Tigers then showcased their offensive prowess for the remainder of the first half, forcing Columbia goalkeeper Dean Kelliher to make multiple good saves as they outnumbered Columbia 8–2 on shots. Their best opportunity came from Ittycheria’s quick footwork as he drove from the left side and had his powerful shot saved by Kelliher. 

The Lions’ only other shot in the first half was a counterattack which resulted in a one-on-one from the right, which sophomore goalkeeper Andrew Samuels brilliantly saved as he went down at his near post. Samuels, in place of senior goalkeeper and captain Khamari Hadaway, who picked up an injury against Cornell, was displaying reliability in his first ever start for the Tigers.

“Our depth has been huge for us, as so many players have stepped into important games at crucial times and contributed,” Barlow told the ‘Prince.’ “Andrew Samuels is one of them … we have a ton of confidence in him.” 

Despite the Tigers’ relentlessness, they could not find an opening through Columbia’s congested defense, ending the first half 1–0 in favor of the Lions.

“We knew Columbia had changed their shape recently and had success against Yale and Dartmouth,” said Barlow. “We found it difficult, especially after conceding early, to get any kind of rhythm going.” 

Still, the team was optimistic about how many chances they were producing, and it would only be a matter of time if they continued playing their game.

“At half-time, even though we were down one goal, I still felt confident and thought that we could pull out a win,” said senior forward Nico Nee.

The Tigers started the second half with even more intensity and high pressure. Within two minutes, junior midfielder Sam Vigilante thought he had scored a header off an Ittycheria cross from the right, but the ball was ruled to have gone out of bounds before it left Ittycheria’s pass.

“The second half yesterday was a very gutsy performance,” Barlow said. “Playing on the road and down a goal against a team that concedes very few goals, we needed guys to step up and make some big plays.”

And the Tigers sure stepped up. 

Two minutes after the disallowed goal, Nee, who substituted on late in the first half, drove from the left side and magnificently cut inside the box between two Columbia defenders, before squeezing a curler into the far post. With his first career goal for the Tigers, Nee brought the score level 1–1.

“It felt good to score my first goal of the season,” Nee told the ‘Prince.’ “I felt like it had been coming, and I was itching to get one.”

Nee, who was coming back from an injury earlier in the season, made a big impact in his first Ivy League game. Following his solo goal, the Lions began to apply more pressure to Nee, bringing him down twice in a row near their box and conceding a yellow card in the process.

In the 55th minute, Princeton, who is nationally ranked 16th for corner kicks, had their sixth, out of 10, corner kicks during the match. Junior midfielder Gabriel Duchovny, who had just been substituted back on, headed it just wide of the far post. 

And just a few minutes later, junior midfielder Jack Hunt, who had also been substituted back on at halftime, lobbed the ball forward from the center circle towards Duchovny. After controlling it with his left, Duchovny turned onto his right and volleyed an absolute screamer into the top-right corner from 30 yards out, netting an insane first career goal and giving the Tigers the lead 2–1.

Despite Columbia turning up the heat and aggression as they finally began playing into Princeton’s half, the Tigers remained cool and continued swinging the ball around to wind down the clock. They continued to defensively shut down Columbia, holding them to just two shots in the entire half, while Princeton had nine more of their own after Duchovny’s goal alone. 

When all seemed to be in control, just five minutes from full time, Columbia played a through ball into their winger for a one-on-one with Samuels. The California native came off his line with his entire body, brilliantly deflecting the shot with his knee to deny Columbia a late equalizer.

The Tigers should be happy with their defensive and offensive performance, as they ended the match outshooting Columbia 22–4. They also continue to display their depth in attack as Nee and Duchovny became the seventh and eighth different goalscorers in the Tigers’ first 11 matches this season.

“We created a lot of chances in different ways — through our passing, our balls in behind, and creating restarts,” Barlow reflected. “We still need to be more composed and sharper with our final passes and shots, and we need to continue prioritizing our team defending.”

The Tigers once again travel to New York on Tuesday, Oct. 22, to face the Fordham Rams (6–3–4, 3–1–2 Atlantic 10). They resume conference play next Saturday, Oct. 26 with a home match against the Yale Bulldogs (4–8–1, 1–3) as they look to secure a spot in the 2024 Ivy League Tournament.

“It will be another very difficult week against two strong opponents,” said Barlow. “The guys need to stay focused — it should be a fun few weeks down the stretch.”

Bryant Figueroa is a staff Sports writer for the ‘Prince.’

Please send corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.