No. 7 Mercer forces six turnovers in 34–7 rout of Princeton

A man wearing an orange and black football jersey with a helmet on running on a field with a football in his hand as he is chased down by a defender.
Sophomore running back Ethan Clark became the first 100-yard rusher for Princeton since senior running back John Volker did it last season against Bryant
Picture courtesy of @PrincetonFTBL/X

Coming into the match with their highest ranking in school history, the No. 7 Mercer Bears (6–0 overall, 3–0 Southern Conference) remained undefeated on Saturday after beating the Tigers (1–3, 0–1 Ivy League) 34–7. Despite a strong performance from the Tiger defense in the first half, Mercer’s dominance was on display for all 60 minutes. Forcing six turnovers, the Bears used a strong second-half performance to hand Princeton its second consecutive loss. 

“Mercer is one of the top teams in the country with the best defense in the [Football Championship Subdivision],” Head Coach Bob Surace wrote to The Daily Princetonian. “We did some positive things, running the ball, but will need to finish drives better. On defense, we forced some turnovers and had some guys step up for injured guys.” 

Despite a 17-point loss to the Columbia Lions in Ivy play last week, junior quarterback Blaine Hipa remained quarterback No. 1 down in Georgia.

The Bears asserted their dominance from the first minute, forcing a three and out in under 30 seconds and receiving the ball at their 36-yard line. For the Bears, their defense has been the catalyst through its first five games, allowing just 7.8 points per game and giving its offense plenty of opportunities on the field.

It took just four plays for Mercer quarterback Hess Horne to get his team in the red zone. However, the Tiger defense was able to come up with stops and hold Mercer to just three points during their opening drive.

The Tigers received the ball back, but the story remained the same. Two underthrown passes from Hipa led to a second consecutive three-and-out for Princeton. After Mercer failed to get into Princeton territory, they punted the ball and pinned the Tigers inside the five. 

This time, the Bears took advantage. After forcing a third consecutive third and out, the Tigers punted from inside their own end zone. The ball landed with Mercer wide receiver Brayden Smith, who returned the kick all the way to the end zone to put the Bears up 10–0. 

Getting the ball back, Hipa looked to create some action for the Tigers. On third and 10 from inside their own 25, Hipa aired the ball out to senior wide receiver Jalen Geer who made just his second career reception. This proved to be the Tigers’ lone highlight of the first quarter. On second and nine, the Mercer defensive line got right past the Tigers’ O-line, sacking Hipa and forcing a fumble. 

Things continued to get worse for Princeton after a second fumble. This time, the ball landed in the end zone, resulting in a Mercer touchdown to take a 17–0 lead.

After getting the football back twice and failing to get in the Bears’ half, the Tiger defense was forced to step up to keep the Orange and Black in the game. On third and 13, junior linebacker Marco Scarano forced a fumble that was recovered by first-year linebacker AJ Pigford, giving Princeton its best field position so far. 

On Monday, Pigford was announced as the Ivy League Rookie of the Week after three tackles for a loss, a fumble recovery, and a sack against Mercer.  

Closing out the half, sophomore running back Ethan Clark came up big with two third-down conversions and a Tiger touchdown to cut the deficit to 10. The first half ended 17–7 in favor of the hosts. Princeton’s defense kept its team in the game during the opening half, but the Bears led the Tigers in every major category as both teams went into their respective locker rooms. 

The Tiger defense carried its momentum into the second half as they forced a three and-out by Mercer, allowing its offense to get back on the field. After Hipa got the Tigers on the Mercer 44, he threw a second pick to Mercer cornerback TJ Moore, resulting in Princeton’s fourth turnover of the game. 

Clark started the Tigers’ drive with a 36-yard run to put the offense in the Mercer half. With that carry, he became the first 100-yard rusher for Princeton since senior running back John Volker did it last season against Bryant. Volker missed the game against Mercer due to injury and Surace did not provide an update on his status for this weekend.

“I think Mercer gave up about a 20 rushing yards per game average to starting RBs [running backs] entering Saturday,” Surace wrote to the ‘Prince.’ “For Ethan to be nearly 100 yards more than that average was great to see. He showed excellent vision and really finished his runs.

After a holding call put Princeton within 15 yards of its second touchdown, Hipa threw a pass intended for senior wide receiver AJ Barber behind him, handing the ball straight to Mercer safety Myles Redding — a play that would prove to kill the Tigers’ momentum.

Running out of gas, the Tiger defense allowed another touchdown in the game, as the Bears drove down and scored seven more within minutes of Hipa’s turnover. Mercer went up 27–7, putting the game out of reach for Princeton with just over ten minutes remaining. 

Forced to rely more on the passing game, Hipa threw his fourth interception of the game and his ninth of the season after underthrowing a pass intended for Barber. Both teams exchanged the ball before the Bears put the icing on the cake and came away with the 34–7 win.

“I thought the best opportunity to win was with the most aggressive gameplan in the pass game in my 14 years,” Surace noted. “The downside was there [was] going to be more risk and Mercer did an outstanding job making plays when they had opportunity. The area we have to grow is finishing our drives at a much higher rate, and that has been an emphasis so far this week.”

The Bears continued their defensive dominance in the FCS as they extended their best start in program history. The Mercer defense and special teams have scored a combined 44 points in six games while allowing just 34. 

For Princeton, turnovers remain a problem. As Hipa continues to struggle, the quarterback situation will be interesting to watch as senior quarterback Blaine McAllister, who was the starting quarterback for the Orange and Black’s 30–13 rout of Howard, waits for his opportunity on the sidelines. 

Next up for Princeton will be a Friday night Ivy League home opener versus Brown (2–2, 1–0). Princeton will be looking to find a spark and avoid a 0–2 conference start that would likely put the Ivy League title out of reach. 

“Brown has a tremendous team,” Surace noted. “They are getting outstanding play out of their quarterback and passing game, which has been consistent for them recently.”  

The last time the Tigers started 1–3 was in 2011, a season that saw Princeton finish 1–9 overall and seventh in the Ivy League. The 2011 season was Surace’s second season in charge of the Orange and Black. 

“We need to improve our consistency, that will help us finish drives on offense and limit the explosive plays that have hurt us on defense,” Surace wrote.

Brown was picked to finish sixth in the preseason poll but shocked Harvard two weeks ago after coming back from down 18 to win 31–28. For the Bears, it was their first win over the Crimson in 14 years.

Hayk Yengibaryan is an associate Sports editor for the ‘Prince.’