Staff Picks: Princeton Football at Harvard

Man in black jersey runs down field with football.
Senior wide receiver AJ Barber looks downfield after a reception.
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonFTBL / X

The Tigers (2–3 overall, 1–1 Ivy League) head into Saturday’s game against Harvard (4–1, 1–1) coming off of a victory against the Brown (2–3, 1–1). The Crimson, however, should prove to be a much tougher opponent. The Crimson enter their matchup with the Tigers coming off three straight victories, losing only to Brown in a close-fought 31–28 loss — the only team in the Ivy Princeton has beaten thus far.

This game is pivotal not only for the Tigers’ season but also for any hopes of a bonfire to stay alive. Losing this game would make winning the Ivy League title near impossible, as a two-loss champion has only happened three times ever, though it did occur last year. Princeton has had a largely disappointing start to the season — they currently hold a losing record — but still has a chance to turn things around. 

Assistant Sports editor Alex Beverton-Smith ’27, staff Sports writer Lily Pampolina ’27, Sports contributor Joe McGonigle ’27, and Sports contributor Doug Schwartz ’28 made their predictions for the game.

Princeton 17, Harvard 27 — Alex Beverton-Smith, Assistant Sports Editor

For Princeton, this season has been a tale of two completely different stories on either side of the ball. On the plus side, the Tigers rank first in passing defense, defensive efficiency, and second in sacks and forced fumbles in the Ivy League. 

On the negative side, the Tigers rank dead last in the Ivy League in points per game, total yards per game, rushing yards per game, passing yards per game, offensive efficiency, sacks against, 1st down conversions, 4th down conversions, red zone offense, and time of possession. 

To say Princeton’s offense has been disappointing is an understatement — it’s been a disaster. Nevertheless, their defense has kept them in it every single time. Princeton’s ability to force turnovers — five against Brown — continues to give the Tigers the ball on offense despite their clear inefficiency. If they can tidy up the offense across all fronts, they would be well within a chance to win this game.

The Crimson showed weakness last weekend, narrowly avoiding a loss to Holy Cross (3–5, 2–3 Patriot) following a missed two-point conversion on the final play of the game, but the Tigers have to be able to improve consistently if they want to beat the league leaders in offensive efficiency. This starts with the quarterback position, mostly liable in conceding 146 yards in sacks, contributing 154.4 passing yards per game, and completing 68.8 percent red zone offense opportunities.

The Tigers will be able to put a respectable number of points on the board, but unless something drastic changes offensively, it won’t be enough to beat Harvard. The Crimson, meanwhile, should continue their strong run of form unless the defense can somehow once again win Princeton the game.

Princeton 31, Harvard 24 — Lily Pampolina, Staff Sports Writer 

In this weekend’s Ivy League matchup, Princeton will have to prove their ability to play strong all four quarters in order to get a win over the Crimson.

Last weekend against Brown, Princeton’s defensive game was strong, forcing five turnovers, including three interceptions against a veteran quarterback. Against Harvard, the Tigers will need to do the same. Crimson quarterback Jaden Craig has had an impressive season so far, completing seven touchdown passes in just the last two games. Craig is not afraid to utilize his options, either — in Harvard’s last game against Holy Cross, Craig threw passes to nine different receivers. The Princeton defensive unit will need to continue to force turnovers, as well as limit Craig’s passing options, particularly passes to his tight ends. 

Offensively, Princeton will need to utilize their running game. Senior running back John Volker had two touchdowns against Brown last weekend, and he will need to carry this momentum into Saturday. Junior quarterback Blaine Hipa seems to have begun to settle into his role this season, so a consistent passing game from him will be crucial to putting points on the board against the Crimson. Princeton will need to capitalize on Harvard’s defensive lapses and will likely find success in play-action plays this weekend. 

A win this weekend means a chance to climb in the Ivy League standings, and Princeton needs to take advantage of this opportunity. With a defensive showing like that of last weekend, Princeton should be able to march past Harvard on Saturday.

Princeton 20, Harvard 16 — Joe McGonigle, Sports Contributor

Princeton enters this game with confidence after last week’s defensive win against Brown. The Tigers forced five turnovers against the Bears and turned the ball over only twice, their second-fewest turnovers this season.

This week’s matchup should be a close one. Harvard’s offense has produced this season, averaging 32.8 points per game. Harvard’s quarterback Jaden Craig has thrown 13 touchdowns and only one interception in five games.

While Princeton’s secondary will likely be tested this week, they have been excellent thus far. Princeton’s defense leads the Ivy League in defensive passing efficiency, allowing only two passing touchdowns all year. They are also third in the Ivy League in total interceptions and second in forced fumbles.

Although the Tigers’ defense has taken the spotlight early in the season, the offense seemed to find its footing last week against Brown after a slow start to the season. While the offense was consistently gifted great field position due to turnovers forced defensively, the Tigers ran the ball efficiently, rushing for 179 yards and 3 touchdowns on 33 carries.

Given Princeton’s recent offensive momentum and consistent defense, Princeton should win in Cambridge and keep their bonfire hopes alive.

Princeton 31, Harvard 17 — Doug Schwartz, Sports Contributor

After a compelling 29–17 win against Brown last Friday, Princeton looks to add another win to their Ivy League column. 

On offense, expect a good game and a lot of targets for senior wide receiver Luke Colella. In the win against Brown, Colella pulled in six targets for 96 yards and a touchdown. On the season, the star wideout has already racked up 269 yards on 17 receptions. Colella brings an explosive element to the offense, with his longest catch of the season coming in at a whopping 60 yards, and he will continue to dominate against Harvard.

Speaking of explosive, look to senior running back John Volker to continue his hot streak after two first quarter touchdowns against Brown, one of which was a 66-yard breakaway score. 

On the other side, Harvard is coming off a nail-biting win against Holy Cross last week. In a game in which they held a commanding lead down the stretch, the Crimson gave up 21 straight unanswered points, giving the Crusaders an opportunity to squeak out a win. However, Harvard stopped Holy Cross on a final two-point conversion attempt to seal their win. If Princeton is able to exhaust the Crimson defense and capitalize off it, their explosive offense will give them the firepower needed to put away their rival from Cambridge.

Alex Beverton-Smith is an assistant Sports editor for the ‘Prince.’

Lily Pampolina is a staff Sports writer and a staff Audience creator for the ‘Prince.’

Joe McGonigle is a Sports contributor for the ‘Prince.’

Doug Schwartz is a Sports contributor and a News contributor for the ‘Prince.