By the Numbers: Milestones for women's soccer as field hockey dominates Ivy League

A woman in a black uniform hits a volleyball
Kamryn Chaney ’26 shows off her hitting form, which has taken her to the top of the Ivy League in kills with 211.
Photo Courtesy of @PrincetonWVB / X

Each week, Sports and Data writers analyze recent athletic competitions to provide analysis and insight on the happenings of Princeton athletics and individual players across the 38 intercollegiate teams at Princeton. Whether they are record-breaking or day-to-day, statistics deliver information in concise ways and help inform fans who might have missed the action. Read past By the Numbers coverage here.

Princeton Tigers: Oct. 4–Oct. 10

Twenty-four games and matches were played across 12 sports and six U.S. states over the past week. Of the 12 games where only one team came out on top, the Tigers won 58 percent of matches — less than the 69 percent of games the Tigers clinched last week. Multiple-day meets and tournaments are counted individually for each day of the competition. Competitions with more than one event or individual results, such as golf and cross country, are not included in our win percentage analysis.

This week, the Tigers won more than 50 percent of their games. They greatly benefited from home field advantage this past week, taking five of six in the Garden State. They struggled more on the road, only winning one-third of their games away from Old Nassau.

Only takes four

Women’s volleyball sophomore outside hitter Kamryn Chaney continued her explosive season, recording 24 kills in only four sets in a 1–3 loss to Yale on Saturday. 24 kills is the fifth-most by any player this season in only four sets and Chaney came home with an impressive .404 kill percentage.

Bad News, Bears

Women’s soccer gave Brown an absolute 8–0 shellacking on Saturday at Roberts Stadium, adding seven goals in the second half. The Tigers knocked off the four-time Ivy League defending champs, scoring their most goals in a game since 1990

100 ways to win a game 

Women’s soccer Head Coach Sean Driscoll reached 100 career wins on Saturday in the 8–0 win over Brown. Driscoll, whose first win came 6–0 over Howard in 2015, is now the second coach in Princeton’s history to eclipse the century mark in wins.

Mighty among the Ivy

Field hockey extended their unbeaten record in the Ivy League this year, dominating Cornell 3–1. The Tigers had a vise-like grip on the game, ending with a 17–3 edge in shots and a 10–1 edge in corners and only conceding a goal in the final minutes of the game. The Tigers’ victory streak in the Empire State would not last, however — they would fall 2–1 to Syracuse on Sunday.

Atop an iv(or)y tower

Women’s soccer sits tied for first place in the Ivy League with Columbia at 3–0, but they dominate in goals per game, margin of victory, and goals allowed. The Tigers average 2.09 goals per game, 0.45 goals against — over 0.5 less than the next best defense — and a margin of victory of 1.64 goals per game, which is almost a full point better than second.

Maestra Pietra 

Women’s soccer star forward Pietra Tordin took home Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week for tallying up a hat trick in the 8–0 Brown win on Saturday. She added an assist in a win over Lafayette on Oct. 1, for a total of seven points in her first two games back from competing for the U.S. U20 national team.

Tordin is coming off an impressive performance at the U20 World Cup, where she led the United States in scoring and helped the team secure a bronze medal.

All in all, the Tigers had a winning week, but failed to match their victory percentage from last week. From women’s soccer to field hockey, the Tigers notched many successes on the field and look set to have a strong rest of the season in these sports. Check back next week to learn about all things Princeton Athletics — By The Numbers.

Harrison Blank is an assistant Sports editor at the ‘Prince.’