TFG: Ti-family-gressions

Tall Gothic Arch with two medieval watchtowers and a clock. Cloudy day with fall leaves in the front.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

It was Saturday night, and rain and excitement enveloped Blair Arch. Loved ones flooded the covered stairs as First-Year Families Weekend ensued. A packed audience eagerly awaited our performance, overflowing past the arch. My nerves ran high as I anticipated my toughest crowd yet — my grandparents.

When I was admitted to Princeton, one of the first things I did was research the musical ensembles on campus. I was immediately drawn to the a cappella organizations. Music has always been a prominent part of my life — whether singing in school-organized choirs, joining musical theater, or participating in my high school’s a cappella group. When my high school started its first female barbershop, a quartet composed of soprano and alto voices, I quickly joined as well. As soon as I stepped on campus, I knew I wanted to audition for an a cappella group.

While on campus, I’ve attended every arch sing since orientation. Taking a study break from readings to enjoy beautiful arrangements by students so passionate about music has been one of the major highlights of my college experience thus far. Covers of songs and artists I love, such as “Linger” by The Cranberries or “Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison, have warmed my heart and given me a sense of comfort through this somewhat considerable adjustment.

My newb arch on Saturday consisted of entertaining musical arrangements, introductions to the crowd, and a special interpretative dance to Right Said Fred’s “I’m Too Sexy” performed alongside my five fellow newbies with comedic costumes and wigs. While I had an earlier performance in the newb arch the previous Saturday, this was my first formal performance as a Tigression. 

My family has always supported me throughout my musical endeavors, which added an extra level of pressure on this performance. It was my first performance for my family since moving away from home and joining the Tigressions. Although my family is only an hour and a half away from Princeton’s campus in Bethlehem, Pa., this was their first visit since move-in, and I was anxious to see them. Despite a day of touring campus with me, the First-Year Family Arch was the highlight of my grandparents’ visit.

We began our set with our traditional chant: TFG, standing for Ti-family-gressions of course! This quickly led to our first song, a cover of Amy Winehouse’s “Tears Dry On Their Own.” The jazzy arrangement we perform is one of my favorite covers we have in our repertoire. Amy Winehouse is an artist featured on many of my playlists, and it’s been so much fun to perform a more contemporary interpretation of the popular song.

Next, we performed “Fallin’” by Alicia Keys, a more soulful R&B cover. However, nerves took over when I realized I was surrounded by other vocal parts in the formation. Normally the Tigressions perform interspersed between vocal classifications during arches, but with six newbies learning so much music in a short time, we were given some extra support by veteran Tigressions. Despite my inexperience with the group, I held my own with limited (and quiet) mistakes!

We concluded our First-Year Family Weekend arch with a choreographed performance of Sia’s “Elastic Heart.” I’ve been obsessed with an a cappella cover of the same song by The Nor’easters since binge-watching the reality television show, “Sing It On,” during my childhood. Performing this version alongside the Tigressions with choreography during this past arch was one of my favorite moments as a Tigression so far.

One of the aspects that drew me to Tigressions was their music choices. Their focus on contemporary and pop covers of songs I love was one of the largest factors in my decision to audition for them, as well as the welcoming and friendly atmosphere.

I think it’s safe to say that our performance impressed my loving and fantastic grandparents. They raved about the talent of all three groups that performed — the Tigertones, Tigressions, and Footnotes. However, I must make a blanket statement and apologize on her behalf if my grandmother’s flash camera blinded you during the entire performance.

Although I have just become a Tigression, it feels like a family already. I’m extremely grateful for this experience and excited for the special moments ahead. If you are even remotely interested in singing, please don’t hesitate to take that leap and audition. The a cappella community on campus is extremely encouraging and friendly. Hopefully, I’ll see you all at the next Arch sing!

Marley Hartnett-Cody is a member of the Class of 2028, a contributing writer for The Prospect, and a print designer at the ‘Prince.’ She can be reached at mh8519[at]princeton.edu.