By The Numbers: Men’s Golf goes low while alumnus torches NFL defenses

Group of men in orange shirts pose on a golf course with a banner.
Men’s golf set a new 54 hole program record this weekend.
Photo courtesy of Princeton Athletic Communications.

Each week, Sports and Data writers analyze recent athletic competitions to provide analysis and insight on the happenings of Princeton athletics and individual players across the 38 intercollegiate teams at Princeton. Whether they are record-breaking or day-to-day, statistics deliver information in concise ways and help inform fans who might have missed the action. Read past By the Numbers coverage here.

Princeton Tigers: Sept. 9–19

Twenty-one games and matches were played across nine sports and six U.S. states over the past week. Of the 16 games where only one team came out on top, the Tigers won 50 percent of matches, less than the 63 percent won in their first week of competition. Multiple-day meets and tournaments are counted individually for each day of the competition. Competitions with more than one event or individual results such as golf and cross country are not included in our win percentage analysis.

This week, the Tigers split their record down the middle, winning 50 percent of games and losing the other half. They performed far better at home than away, cruising to victory in nearly 80 percent of home games while clinching a win less than 15 percent of the time when on the road.

Fab Ms. MacNab

Women’s soccer captain Heather MacNab delivered two crucial assists in the second half of the Tigers 2–1 win over Drexel last Thursday. The senior forward currently has three assists on the season and sits tied for number five on the Princeton all-time career assist record books with 18. With a double-digit number of games remaining, MacNab will surely propel herself even further into Tiger history.

Pain on the pitch

In Princeton’s first fall game against an Ivy League opponent, women’s rugby lost to Dartmouth 93–0. The Big Green were the National Intercollegiate Rugby Association runner-up in 2023 and champions the two years prior. In the three years of the program, the Tigers have lost to Dartmouth each season, but this game marks the first Dartmouth-Princeton game where the Tigers have failed to put any points on the board.

Killin’ Kamryn

Women’s volleyball played three matches in the past ten days, losing all three. Amid these losses, sophomore outside hitter Kamryn Chaney, 2023 Second Team All-Ivy, shone by recording 56 kills and receiving her first Ivy League Player of the Week award. The Tigers head down to the nation’s capital for another tournament this weekend, looking to bounce back.

Goal Shark 

Senior star utility Roko Pozaric has scored 18 goals through No. 7 men’s water polo’s first eight games of the season, placing him in eighth place in the Princeton all-time goal record book. Pozaric, a native of Croatia, is only 30 goals away from setting the Tiger career record with 20 games left in the season.

Hell of a Handicap

Men’s golf shot a program record 54-hole team total (828) last Tuesday to grab their third regular season tournament win in a row. The Tigers also shot a team record 12 under par over three rounds. Junior Riccardo Fantinelli led the Tigers with a score of 10 under par for his fourth career win at the USF/Howard Intercollegiate Tournament.

Andrei Dosivas

Andrei Iosivas ’23 dazzled on the gridiron this past weekend, nabbing two touchdowns for the Cincinnati Bengals in their 26–25 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. The Sunday performance was the second-year receiver’s second career game with two catches for scores, as Iosivas brings Tiger football back to Sundays.

All in all, it has been a solid week for the Tigers, especially for men’s golf. As the semester progresses, fall sports will start to progress into Ivy League play. Check back next week to stay updated on all things Princeton athletics — by the numbers.

Harrison Blank is an assistant Sports editor at the ‘Prince.’

Andrew Bosworth is head Data editor and staff Sports writer for the ‘Prince.’

Please send all corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.