Tune into “Empire Records: The Musical” at McCarter

A stage production set up for a musical, with neon lights, vintage posters on walls, and shelves of vinyls.
The stage production setup of Empire Record.
Isabella Rivera / The Daily Princetonian 

Just like a classic vinyl, McCarter Theatre’s most recent musical sensation “Empire Records: The Musical” spins a tale that grooves through nostalgia, dropping the needle on the vibrant beats of the 90s with its vibrant soundtrack. Filled with punk rock and rooftop dancing, this electrifying musical directed by Trip Cullman tells the story of a band of teenage misfits fighting to save the record store they work at, Empire Records, from a corporate takeover.

Carol Heikkinen, the writer of the 1995 film of the same name, drew inspiration for the story from her own experiences working at record stores. In 2017, she collaborated with composer and lyricist Zoe Sarnak to adapt the film into a musical. Together, they were able to revisit the story and expand on its characters in new ways. “Empire Records: The Musical” is showing at McCarter Theater from September 6, 2024 to October 6, 2024.

The story follows rule-follower Corey, played by Lorna Courtney, in her role as store clerk at the beloved Empire Records. She is accompanied by her diverse group of friends who work at the store with her: the ambitious best friend Gina, played by Samantha Williams, the not-so-secret admirer AJ, played by Liam Pearce, the sharp-edged Debra, played by Analise Scarpaci, the impulsive Lucas, played by Tyler McCall, and the eccentric Mark, played by Eric Wiegand.

The main conflict of the show arises when former music star Rex Manning, played by Damon Daunno, visits Empire Records. With the teens caught up in the excitement of “Rex Manning Day,” disaster strikes when the record store’s owner Joe, portrayed by Michael Luwoye, is faced with the difficult decision to sell Empire Records to corporate conglomerate Music Town.

I was fortunate enough to snag one of the last tickets available for Friday night’s performance on September 20. Little did I know that this seat would be in the literal front and center row — meaning I was up close to all of the action happening on stage.

There were many stand-out performances of the evening. Courtney, fresh off her Broadway debut as Juliet in “& Juliet,” is electric on stage. With raw emotions, she portrays her character’s development as a young girl who struggles with the idealization of fame and the future versus true friendship, ultimately growing wiser by the end of the show.

Daunno is a scene-stealer in the role of a washed-up popstar down to his last penny, presenting the perfect mix of arrogant charm with hidden grievances of a longing for lost youth. Another bright spot is Scarpaci, who delivers a heart-wrenching ballad that highlights the tougher parts of adolescence and is truly a showstopper.

Another standout from the production is the set design by David Rockwell. Starting off with the audience viewing the front facade of the store, the whole set piece rises, revealing the inside of Empire Records. The store is decorated with posters of 90s icons and a plethora of records, inviting the audience into the time period. A particularly striking detail was the rooftop platform with the huge neon “Empire Records” sign, a place where many characters reflect in moments of solitude. For instance, the rooftop is used as a moment of privacy for AJ as he attempts to confess his love for Corey at exactly 1:37 a.m. in the morning, a significant time in the one hour and thirty seven minute show.

Zoe Sarnak states in the playbill that she hopes the show highlights “the importance of places that create home for all the different kinds of misfits — aka an exceptionally cool and special odd ducks.” Through an upbeat soundtrack and chaotic staging — with characters running through the aisles of the theater and pulling audience members into the world of the story — this show is a must-see production this fall.

Isabella Rivera is a member of the Class of 2027 and a contributing writer for The Prospect. She can be reached at ir6143@princeton.edu.