Falling for flavor: Coffee Club’s new seasonal drinks

Colorful chalkboard menu with artificial fall leaves scattered around it.

Autumn-themed chalkboard menu at the Campus Club location of Coffee Club. 

Princess Fodeke / The Daily Princetonian

As midterms approach, Coffee Club's new seasonal drinks have arrived to combat the fall semester slump: the Great Pumpkin Chai, Falling for Fall, the Newton, and the Snoopy Shaken Espresso.

Across their two locations, Coffee Club claims five head baristas who are in charge of planning seasonal menus. After the head baristas narrow down their initial choices of menu items, they contact their inventory managers to sample these potential drinks.

Ultimately, once a consensus is reached among the team members about the marketability and convenience of a drink, the team buys a larger supply of the necessary ingredients. The baristas repeat this process annually, as the seasonal drinks typically change every year.

I spoke with a head barista, Katie Greppin ’26, to better understand why the specific recipes for this semester’s autumn beverages had been chosen.

“We wanted to have something pumpkin, of course, but we were thinking [of] something different than the typical pumpkin spice latte,” Greppin said about the first specialty drink — the Great Pumpkin Chai.

The Great Pumpkin Chai

The pumpkin spice chai latte is actually quite similar to a standard chai latte — milk is either heated or added cold, tea is steeped, and spices are added — only the inclusion of pumpkin syrup differentiates it.

I first tried this drink hot at the NCW location of Coffee Club, and it immediately became one of my favorites. There were sweet and warm notes that blended effortlessly with the various spices, amplifying the fall ambiance. Peeking through the plainness of the milk was the flavorful complexity of chai tea, accompanied by the comfortable and satisfying aroma of pumpkin.

One student I talked with, Jai Desai ’28, echoed my sentiments: “My favorite [drink] was the Great Pumpkin Chai ... You could really taste the pumpkin spice [coming] through.”

Falling for Fall

On the other hand, when I first had the “Falling for Fall,” I thought the flavor was a bit too homogenous. This brown sugar latte, only available hot and made with milk alternatives, has a spice blend of cinnamon, cardamom, and cayenne. I felt the espresso overpowered the distinct flavors that should have been present. Though the drink maintained its flavor, it lacked the depth I originally expected. Still, I enjoyed the taste of this latte, even though I normally don’t drink espresso. Greppin, on the other hand, favored the Falling for Fall, appreciating how it “tasted like a warm hug.”

The Newton

The third specialty drink, the Newton, was the only drink I requested iced, though it can be offered hot as well. Cheekily named after Isaac Newton’s discovery of gravity from a fallen apple, this drink is a classic take on a caramel apple latte. Greppin clarified that the Newton was constructed by joining a regular latte with caramel and apple syrup. This was my least favorite addition to the new menu, as I felt the melted apple didn’t pair well with iced coffee. As the ice started to melt, I especially felt like the cohesiveness of the drink declined even further, and the flavors started to wane. If I had to try it again, I would definitely order the hot version of this latte, which I feel would amend many of my complaints.

The Snoopy Shaken Espresso

The last specialty drink, unveiled on September 20, was the Snoopy Shaken Espresso. The Snoopy has brown sugar and pistachio syrup, which are added with ice and espresso to a shaker. After being shaken to aerate the espresso, the mixture is poured into a cup of ice over any type of milk. Although the taste of pistachio is prominent, the Snoopy uses artificial flavoring, so it’s actually nut-free. Greppin told me this was one of their most popular drinks, and after trying it, I understand why. In each sip, there was a perfect combination of nuttiness and sweetness, balanced by the background of espresso. The drink, in its totality, was consistent in flavor without sacrificing dimension. I could easily see myself returning to Coffee Club to purchase another.

Regardless of whether or not you consider yourself an avid coffee drinker, I recommend trying Coffee Club’s newest introductions to their menu. With each individual drink, there is a unique flavor profile that can appeal to anyone.

Princess Fodeke is a contributing writer for The Prospect from Valdosta, Georgia.