String of lewdness incidents on campus disrupt orientation week

A path going into a woody area.
The towpath winding through the foliage. 
Samantha Lopez-Rico / The Daily Princetonian

Content warning: This article contains mention of sexual misconduct. University Counseling services are available at 609-258-3141.

Following multiple incidents of sexual misconduct on and near Princeton’s campus, two suspects have been arrested and charged. Neither are members of the University community. 

These incidents occurred just three days after first-year move in, which occurred on Aug. 23. The University community received a string of alerts about these events over the course of three days, from Aug. 26 to Aug. 28. 

According to an email from Vice President for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun, three first-year students reported experiencing criminal sexual contact outside of Campus Club and near the Chapel on the night of Aug. 25. 

“Based on a description from the students and reports from community members, the University’s Department of Public Safety (DPS) was swiftly able to identify and detain a suspect, who is not a member of the campus community,” she wrote. “We have connected the three students with confidential campus resources and supportive measures.”

Calhoun added that the suspect was arrested, criminally charged with sexual contact, and barred from campus.

“We want to thank those who quickly alerted DPS last night. We also extend our gratitude to DPS for their swift response and their ongoing investigation. I want to assure you that the safety and well-being of each and every one of you, and of our entire community, is our top concern,” she concluded.

According to the New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice Revised Statute 2C § 14-3, criminal sexual contact is a fourth-degree crime that can result in up to 18 months in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. 

Also on Aug. 26, at 9:19 p.m., the Department of Public Safety (DPS) sent a TigerAlert that read, “At about 5:50 p.m., a man exposed himself to a jogger on the D&R Canal towpath west of Alexander Street. The man was traveling east, and the jogger was traveling west. The jogger ran away from the towpath after the incident.”

The alert noted that authorities were not able to locate the suspect, and that the perpetrator had a black backpack and his face covered.

At 10:41 p.m. the same day, DPS sent another alert that read, “At about 8:30 p.m., the Department of Public Safety received a report that a male was masturbating in a car parked in a metered space on University Place. The car left the location and traveled south on University Place.” 

“The Department of Public Safety believes this incident to be unrelated to the previous alert,” the alert added.

At 4:13 p.m. on Aug. 28, DPS sent an alert announcing that the man who had masturbated in his car that day had been identified and charged by law enforcement. He is not a member of the campus community.

In a statement to The Daily Princetonian, University Spokesperson Jennifer Morrill noted that investigations are ongoing. 

“As noted in the campus messages and notifications, the arrested individuals are not members of the campus community and have been barred from campus,” she said.

“The TigerSafe app offers several safety features in addition to a wide variety of information and guidance,” Morrill continued.

These include the Friend Walk feature, which enables users to share their location so a trusted individual can remotely view the user’s location while they walk to their destination, and the Work Alone feature, which checks in on the user while they are working or studying alone, and can trigger a call to the user’s emergency contact if they do not check in at the designated time.

Later in the evening, students are also able to catch Tiger Transit, which operates a schedule until 3 a.m. every night, with two routes operating every 30 minutes. 

“There are two well-light [sic], primary transfer points between the late-night routes at Princeton Station (Wawa) and at McCosh Walk on Washington Road. In addition, the TigerTransit dispatch team coordinates directly with the DPS dispatch team in the event of emergencies or callers in distress,” she added.

Olivia Sanchez is an associate News editor for the ‘Prince.’ She is from New Jersey and often covers the graduate school and academic departments.

Please send corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.