TigerTransit changes routes for the new school year

An electric orange-and-black bus with the Princeton University logo and the words “Free Shuttle Service For All” written on the side.
A new electric TigerTransit bus.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

As the new semester begins, TigerTransit, which connects University buildings, parking, and public transit, has implemented route and schedule changes that ensure more frequent and direct late-night service, more service on weekends, and better access for students living in residential colleges furthest from classrooms and athletic facilities. 

TigerTransit’s design is meant to provide quick transportation between major locations with a walking distance of over 10 minutes, such as the commute from Forbes College to the E-Quad or Poe Field to Witherspoon. During the day on weekdays, four routes are in operation.

While locations remain similar to the 2023 routes, the updated Route 1 will make all-day stops at Friend Center on the way to Stadium Drive Garage, and Route 4 will connect the Meadows Neighborhood to Princeton Junction via Princeton Station. The Fisher Hall stop has also been moved closer to Washington Road.

Additional updates were also made to the night route, where one circulating bus has been replaced by two evening routes that now operate daily from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. The weekend routes, which transport students between housing complexes, campus destinations, and local shopping centers, will now have shopping stops “less than 3 minutes” from Wegmans, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe’s. 

These changes are part of the annual updates that the University’s Transportation and Parking Services (TPS) implements before each academic year. Community members are able to give feedback on TigerTransit year-round through the “Tell us how TigerTransit is doing” page on the TPS website. This year, changes have been made based on feedback from over 300 survey responses from students, faculty and staff. 

In a statement to the ‘Prince,’ TPS wrote that “since 2022, TPS, Facilities, and other University partners have conducted campus-wide intercept surveys, including tabling during Frist late meal” and stopping people on campus. 

The TPS website notes that “not every request or suggestion from the community could be accommodated in this year’s service plan,” and that the needs of the University community will continue to influence future improvements. 

Since the current TigerTransit network launch about three weeks ago, TPS documents that services have seen about 3,500 boardings per day on weekdays and 1,100 boardings per day on weekends. During the first week of September, two of the routes that were updated were among those with the highest average daily boardings, with 1,118 riders on Route 4 and 885 riders on Route 1. 

A complete guide to TigerTransit routes and updates can be found on the TPS website.

Michelle Miao is a News contributor for the ‘Prince.’