Inflammatory flyers against Palestinians surface, PSAFE opens bias investigation

A stone and glass building facade that reads "200 Elm Drive."
Public Safety headquarters at 200 Elm Drive.
Tiffany Tsai / The Daily Princetonian

The Department of Public Safety (PSAFE) is investigating small flyers found on campus reading “Nuke Gaza” and “Kill Roaches” as a bias incident, the University told The Daily Princetonian on Friday.

The pile of approximately 30 paper cutouts was first discovered by a fourth-year graduate student around noon on Friday outside entryway six of Spelman Hall. The individual gathered up the flyers and called PSAFE. 

Princeton’s daily crime log shows that PSAFE officers responded to the incident shortly after the call, and logged the interaction as a “harrassment/bias incident.” According to the graduate student, PSAFE collected the flyers from them at the scene.

“It is so upsetting to think that someone in the campus community is producing documents that incite nuclear mass murder against a civilian population, and that they felt emboldened to do so openly,” the student, who requested anonymity citing concerns over the content of the flyers, wrote in a statement to the ‘Prince.’ 

Small rectangular paper cutouts reading "Nuke Gaza" and "Kill Roaches" in capital letters.
The flyers were found outside Spelman Hall on Friday morning.

Princeton Israeli Apartheid Divest (PIAD), a pro-Palestine student group, posted a photo of the flyers taken by the graduate student to social media several hours after they were found. In the caption, the group wrote that the University “treated our concerns with total nonchalance.” 

Michele Minter, the vice provost for institutional equity and diversity, wrote in a statement to the ‘Prince’ on Monday that “Princeton deplores all hateful speech, which undermines our values of respect and inclusion.”

“Anonymous, offensive speech is especially concerning,” Minter added.

The flyers are the first potential bias incident against Palestinians publicly reported on campus this semester. At this point it is unknown, who distributed them.

The New Jersey chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations recently reported an 118 percent increase in complaints of discrimination, anti-Muslim, and anti-Palestinian hate in the first half of 2024, compared to the same period in 2023.

PSAFE also investigated a potential bias incident related to the war in Gaza last December, when two eating clubs were vandalized with graffiti reading “F--- Israel” and “Free Gaza.”

Miriam Waldvogel is an associate News editor and the investigations editor for the ‘Prince.’ She is from Stockton, Calif. and often covers campus activism and University accountability.