Princeton hosts memorial service to honor LGBTQ+ community members

A gray chapel with arched doorways, framed by trees against a blue sky
Over 100 people gathered in the chapel for the memorial.
Calvin Grover / The Daily Princetonian

On Friday, Sept. 20, over 100 alumni, faculty, and students convened in the University Chapel to pay tribute to LGBTQ+ members of the Princeton community who have passed away.

The memorial service, “A Celebration of Life, Remembrance, and Hope,” was part of the Every Voice Conference organized by University Advancement, a three-day event running from Sept. 19 to 21 to celebrate and honor LGBTQ+ alumni. 

“The service honors and celebrates alumni who during their lifetimes blazed a trail for the LGBTQ+ community and expresses joy in the lives that will continue to have an impact moving forward,” Emily Latham, Associate Director of Advancement Affinity Programs, wrote in an email to The Daily Princetonian.

Organized by conference Steering Committee members Rabbi Gil Steinlauf ’91 and Loki Lin ’22, the memorial this year was expanded “to encompass both remembrance and hope for the future,” Latham shared. The hour-long memorial included readings, personal reflections, and performances by the Chapel Choir, featuring pieces by LGBTQ+ composers.

“Today, we come into this space to remember, to honor, and to celebrate the lives of ones that you've served along with,” Dean of Religious Life Rev. Dr. Theresa S. Thames said as she began the memorial, addressing the many alumni in the chapel. “We will remember and honor them, but also bring pieces of ourselves back to this space.” 

Rev. Sue Anne Steffey Morrow and Robert Gleason ’87 spoke next, reflecting on the history of Princeton’s LGBTQ+ community and highlighting the progress made in terms of visibility and acceptance over the years.

“The vision for the Gay Alliance of Princeton in the mid-80s was a space the size of the back corner of Murray-Dodge Cafe,” Rev. Morrow said. “The vision was a sacred place — a place that was filled with queer joy and amazing friendships.” 

Rev. Morrow shared personal memories of witnessing the first gay wedding in the University Chapel and the establishment of a steering committee in the 80s aimed at making LGBTQ+ rights “visible and vital.”

“We pause to remember those who have come before us, whose courage and resilience paved the way for our journey today,” Gleason said. “Let us hold them in our hearts with gratitude and reverence.” 

Gleason also offered a blessing in remembrance of those who lost their lives to HIV and AIDS.

“Decades ago, you fought against the stigma associated with HIV and AIDS,” said Linsaid, addressing the audience. “The last time this conference was happening [in 2013], you were in the midst of fighting for the right to marry, and today, we fight for our trans siblings while caring for them.” 

Lin then led the audience in creating a “living memorial.”  

“We invite you to write prayers, blessings, poems, names, hopes, or wishes,” Lin said. “Your envelope … will join others in a collective tribute of love, remembrance, and hope.” After writing their messages, audience members placed the cards into a memorial box to be permanently displayed at the Gender + Sexuality Resource Center on campus. 

“Alumni conference organizers wanted to create something physical that would last beyond conference; the ‘living memorial’ was borne out of that goal,” Latham wrote to the ‘Prince.’  

AG McGee ’22 recognized members of the Princeton community who died by suicide during their time at the University, including Justin Lim ’25 and Jazz Chang ’23.

“Who you all are is constituted by the people that you have lost and loved yourselves,” McGee said. “Sometimes, the best part of a memorial is just being yourselves; by being yourself, we keep the memories of those we loved quite literally alive.” 

McGee is a managing editor emeritus at the ‘Prince.’

The service concluded with a closing prayer led by Rabbi Steinlauf. “Today, we celebrate the memories of these remarkable queer people who have come from generations past and have touched our lives,” he said. “Remembering them not only gives them life, but gives us life, courage, and love.”  

Sena Chang is a contributing News writer for the ‘Prince.’ 

Staff News writer Caitlyn Tablada contributed reporting.