Climate change discussion with President of the Maldives turns to conflict in Israel

Two people sitting in the center of a room in discussion, with people in raised seats sitting around them.
His Excellency President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu of the Maldives in conversation at SPIA.
Calvin Grover / The Daily Princetonian

President Mohamed Muizzu of the Maldives joined the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs (SPIA) on Sept. 26 for a discussion on climate resiliency in the Maldives. While the event was marketed as focusing on the Maldives’ urban development and environmental initiatives, the conversation, moderated by visiting professor and lecturer Razia Iqbal, soon pivoted to the Maldives’ June 2024 entry ban for Israeli passport holders.

A part of the Dean’s Leadership Series, the event is one in a sequence of discussions featuring global leaders and policymakers. Muizzu began by thanking Princeton for hosting him.

“Princeton University and its School of Public and International Affairs are a beacon of the principles of the governments and society and money around the world, principles of equity, justice and respect for basic human rights,” he said.

“In these dark days of war, genocide in Gaza, the suppression of human rights, the normalization of violence against Syrians — even children — it is vital [that] U.S. institutions continue to uphold these principles themselves,” he continued. “Universities must remain vesicles of thought and expression, respecting the right to protest peacefully, responsibly, and in a manner that is constructive for society.” 

He then turned to the climate crisis facing the Maldives — in particular, rising sea levels. The country’s average elevation above sea level is only around one meter, so rising sea levels threaten displacement. Another issue is the acidification of coral reefs, which endangers tourism and fishing. 

“We’ve stepped up and increased our ambitions,” Muizzu said regarding climate mitigation. “To generate 33 percent of our electricity through renewable energy by 2050, we are experimenting with floating solar panels.” 

Iqbal raised questions about the source of funding for these projects. Historically, the Maldives has maintained close international ties with India, but this relationship has come under pressure amid global power competition. In recent months, Muizzu has made multiple agreements with the Chinese government for infrastructure funding and other investments. 

In response to a question from Iqbal about this shift, Muizzu replied that the issue “has been very diplomatically coordinated, and with the full support of [the] Indian government.”

“I’m going to ask the question again, because I’m not convinced you answered it,” Iqbal said. “Is China part of your plan to build climate resilience inside the Maldives?” 

Muizzu confirmed that China would be an integral part of the developmental projects inside of the Maldives.

Iqbal then turned to Muizzu’s recent criticism of Israel, asking if he believes his criticism makes a difference.

“We are all humans — equal — and everyone has the right to live,” he responded. “Everyone has the right to belong to an independent state.” 

When asked by an attendee about the Maldives’ criticized anti-LGBTQ+ policies, Muizzu replied, “This is an Islamic country. We have Islamic rules from all these constitutions.”

The conversation then opened to the audience for questions. Dean of SPIA Amaney Jamal asked about the Maldives’ decision to ban Israeli passport holders from entering the country in protest over the war in Gaza. 

“We have many students who also have family and friends in Israel, and I know that the Maldives had imposed a ban on Israel, but then walked that back. But what would you tell our students who still are worried and anxious about this decision?” she asked.

“No, we haven’t walked back from all of this in the parliament,” Muizzu replied. “We just want the world to acknowledge that every single Palestinian has the right just as everyone else [sic].”

“We are ready to do anything we can and we decided to put in this plan, and it’s going to be implemented as soon as possible,” he added.

The Maldives recently attempted to adjust its Israeli passport ban to allow Palestinian and Muslim Israelis to enter the Maldives. Maximillian Meyer ’27 asked Muizzu about this decision, stating, “The message [of the legislation], of course, was clear: only Jewish Israelis are not welcome in the Maldives. Despite, as you said today, your desire to create an ‘inclusive society,’ how can you justify your government’s actions as anything other than antisemitic?” 

Meyer, who is president of Tigers for Israel, co-authored a letter with Tigers for Israel Vice President Aiden Sandler ’27 addressed to University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 and Jamal. In the letter, they express their “utter dismay” that SPIA was hosting Muizzu.

“Irrespective of one’s perspective on the Israel-Hamas war, President Muizzu represents precisely the antisemitism against which Princeton ought to stand strongly,” they wrote.

“I think you are taking it to the wrong angle … the ban that we have been discussing within the parliament is … a genuine attempt to say that violence taking place in Palestine is not right,” Muizzu replied to Meyer. “It’s nothing against Jews or any religion. Everyone is welcome. Jews, Christians, Muslims. Everyone is welcome in the Maldives. It’s nothing to do with religion. It’s right and wrong,” he added.

Another attendee, Oliver Meyer ’28, told The Daily Princetonian in an interview that Muizzu’s policies regarding Israeli passport holders motivated him to attend the event.

“I came to the event today because the school invited somebody who is incredibly antisemitic to speak here, and if we’re going to prop him up, I think it’s our duty to see what he has to say, and see if he can explain himself for some of the things that a lot of the Jewish students feel are incredibly dangerous.”

Iqbal and a representative for Jamal declined to comment to the ‘Prince.’ SPIA Events Manager Lauren Mosko did not respond to repeated requests for comment. 

The Dean’s Leadership Series continues Friday, Sept. 2 with His Excellency President Santiago Peña of Paraguay.

Hannah Gabelnick is a staff News writer for the ‘Prince’ from Buffalo, N.Y. 

Devon Rudolph is a News contributor and a Sports contributor for the ‘Prince’ from Fairfax, Va.