Fall 2024 HireTigers Career Fair sees highest employer number in five semesters

Photo of many students playing various outdoor games on a snow covered lawn in front of a brick building.
Students gather outside of Dillon Gym, a Campus Rec facility.
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

On Friday, Sept. 13, 107 employers from 14 U.S. states and two countries are scheduled to attend the Fall 2024 HireTigers Career Fair. Students will have the opportunity to connect with a range of employers, from Bain & Company to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to Scholastic. The Daily Princetonian broke down the employers represented at the Career Fair — the most at the fair since 2022 — and which employers have opportunities available to underclass students.

The industry most represented in this career fair is Investment and Portfolio Management with 15 employers. This was followed by Management Consulting, with 14 firms taking to Dillon to meet with students.

In an interview with the ‘Prince,’ Kyle Page ’27 shared that he noticed this phenomenon.

“There appear to be a lot of finance companies coming this Friday, compared to companies from other industries.”

This contrasts with last spring, when the most represented industry was “Non-Profit - Other” with 10 employers, while “Higher Education,” “Management Consulting,” and “Investment / Portfolio Management” all tied with eight employers each. 

While some opportunities may seem more geared towards certain students, others say that may not be the case. According to Felicia Sanders ’25, a Peer Career Advisor, students should try and seek out opportunities whether or not they directly relate to their major. In a statement to the ‘Prince,’ Sanders wrote that “I’ve had productive conversations with both employers directly related to my STEM coursework, but also have learned a lot from employers in the social impact and business industries.”

An additional dataset provided by the Center for Career Development split companies at the career fair into larger sectors. Although last spring, the “Engineering, Health, Science, & Technology” sector hosted the greatest number of employers, this fall, “Business, Finance” has come back to take the number one spot. The Fall 2024 HireTigers fair is hosting the most employers of any fair since the virtual Spring 2022 HireTigers fair.

Similar to previous years, a majority of the employers attending are headquartered in New York and New Jersey, with some being affiliated with the University. This fall, 39 companies are based in New York and 29 in New Jersey. This is a difference compared to last spring when numbers were reversed, with 38 employers headquartered in New Jersey and 27 in New York.

Looking at eligibility by year for undergraduate opportunities, while 90 percent of representatives are hiring juniors — and all are open to seniors — only 51.4 percent are open to sophomores and 34.3 percent are open to first-years.

Despite the comparatively low number of positions open to underclass students, Sanders encourages them to engage with the fair, writing that “while some employers may also only have open positions for upperclass [students], you can learn something from every conversation you have!”

The Center for Career Development emphasizes that both undergraduate and post-graduate students have unique opportunities at the fair, with many organizations seeking candidates for internships and entry-level positions. As students prepare to engage with employers, some who have attended before have insights on how to get the most out of the fair.

“I didn’t know what to expect last year, but it turned into a great learning experience,” Page said.

He advises newcomers to research companies ahead of time and to approach conversations with curiosity.

“Ask questions and be personable.” 

Sanders encourages students, especially first-years, to remember that “you do have many transferable skills (communication, time management, etc.) that would be valuable to an employer.” She also wrote that students should remember to “keep an open mind and to put [themselves] out there!”

Employers will be meeting with students in Dillon Gym from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 13. Next week, the Science and Technology Job Fair will take place on Friday, Sept. 20, giving students the chance to connect with employers in STEM fields.

Shivansh Bansal is a contributing Data writer for the ‘Prince.’