Princeton alumna passes after fatal bike accident

A small tree with white flowers stands outside of a stone building. In the background, the sky is gray.
Flowers outside of Campbell Hall.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Minh-Thi Nguyen, a graduate of the Class of 2021, passed away on June 21 after being struck by a box truck while cycling in Cambridge, Mass.

Nguyen was pursuing a Ph.D. in Physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) at the time of the incident. The crash is under investigation by the Cambridge Police Department.

Nguyen, who received an A.B. degree in Physics, served as the president of the Princeton Entrepreneurship Club (EClub). She also worked as a Peer Academic Advisor, volunteered as an Outdoor Action leader, and was a member of the Cap and Gown Club. 

“Nguyen, affectionately known to family as ‘Chip’ and to friends as ‘Mint,’ had a zest for life and adventure like no other, and she put others before herself — without fail,” an obituary sent to The Daily Princetonian remembered. According to Alexa Gomberg, a peer of Nguyen’s at MIT, the obituary was authored by friends and family.

The ‘Prince’ was unable to reach the Nguyen family by time of publication.

Cambridge Bicycle Safety, a cycling advocacy group, hosted a vigil for Nguyen and Kimberly Staley, another cyclist who was killed by a box truck while cycling this month, at Cambridge City Hall on Monday. 

CBS News reported that Cambridge has been working on implementing Vision Zero, a bicycle safety program. The program would “create 20 miles per hour speed limits, prohibit turning right at red lights, and improve bike lanes.”

Friends of Nguyen have set up a GoFundMe on behalf of the family. Members of the community are encouraged to donate in lieu of flowers. 

The ‘Prince’ will publish an obituary remembering Minh-Thi in the weeks to come. If you would like to share your memories of Minh-Thi, please reach out to news[at]dailyprincetonian.com.

Olivia Sanchez is an associate News editor for the ‘Prince.’ She is from New Jersey and often covers the graduate school and academic departments.