Faculty approve rule changes, discuss WeSpeak survey results at meeting

The faculty voted in favor of revisions to rules regarding the faculty who are in consensual relationships with students during its meeting on Monday.

Dean of the Faculty Deborah Prentice presented revisions to the rules and procedures of faculty in “Rights, Rules, Responsibilities” that pertain to consensual relationships with students.

She said the Faculty Advisory Committee on Policy undertook such revisions under the recommendation of the Faculty Student Advisory Committee to clarify policies on sexual misconduct.

Prentice also noted changes related to sex discrimination and sexual misconduct “to streamline processes for adjudicating the cases of sexual misconduct.”

Both changes were approved by the faculty.

English professor Deborah Nord from the Faculty Student Advisory Committee discussed the results of the WeSpeak sexual misconduct survey.

Nord noted that when the faculty met last September to vote on new processes for adjudication of sexual misconduct, she was asked to report back the following year with specific concerns and issues to address.

She said that the survey results show an increase in the number of reported sexual misconduct cases than previous years, and explained that the new processes and procedures are making people feel more comfortable coming forward.

She also noted that as a result of the new procedures, there were more appeals on sexual misconduct cases than usual this year.

She highlighted some statistics from the survey, which shows that one-fifth of the student respondents experienced inappropriate sexual behavior, one in eight experienced inappropriate sexual contacts and one in nine experienced unwanted sexual activity, including rape.

Furthermore, the results found that women were three and a half times more likely to experience inappropriate sexual behavior than men, and students who identified as LGBT were twice more likely to experience inappropriate sexual behavior than their heterosexual counterparts.

In addition, 70 percent of the students who had been assaulted reported that their assaulter had been using drugs or alcohol, or both. Seventy-five percent of students who had been assaulted had themselves been using drugs or alcohol, Nord noted.

“The committee this year is focusing on remedies; we are grateful for any suggestions or recommendations of what actually can be taken to change the status quo on campus around sexual misconduct,” Nord said.

Nord noted the difficulty of addressing the problem of sexual misconduct and emphasized that it is a University-wide effort. She noted programs, such as free buses to help students get back to their dorms safely and a newly-initiated bystander program, are currently in place.

“I think it is something that has to be a matter of urgent concern for faculty, and it’s something that will require a real culture change on the ground,” University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 said.

He explained that it is a very serious problem affecting a disturbingly large number of our students.

“Good work has been done to this point, but none of us should think that work is over,” he added.

Dean of the College Jill Dolan proposed curriculum changes in the American Studies, Art and Archaeology, Classics, Evolutionary and Ecological Biology, African American Studies, Classics and East Asian Studies departments.

The proposed changes were approved by the faculty.

The meeting also included a memorial resolution from history professor William Jordan in recognition of Charles Gillispie, the emeritus Dayton-Stockton Professor of History of Science who died on Oct. 6.

Scheide Professor of Music History Scott Burnham also delivered a memorial resolution of professor emeritus of music James Randall who passed away on May 28.