New Wawa opens with fanfare and a nod to tradition

wa_karen
wa_karen

More than 100 community members, students, workers, politicians and associates gathered at 152 Alexander St. to celebrate the opening of the renovated Wawa store, located adjacent to the Dinky station. The Wawa store chain is celebrating its 50th anniversary, with more than 645 store chapters open across the United States.

“I am delighted to say the long-awaited moment is here: we’re open," area manager Kathryn Stevens said in opening the celebrations.

A parade of Wawa employees holding up signs marking the significant milestones in Wawa’s history followed the opening words. The parade, narrated by director of store operations Jim Shortall, included Wally-Goose, the store mascot, and featured milestones including Wawa’s 1803 founding, its first advertisement in 1905 and its first store in 1964.

Celebrations included a hoagie-building contest between the Princeton Police and Fire Departments and between University student organizations Access and Engineers without Borders. The contests were won by the Princeton Fire Department and Access, and each group received $1000 to be donated to a charity.

Wawa President and CEO Chris Gheysens said he was really excited for his company to be a part of the Princeton community. He explained that the connections the employees create when 1.5 million customers walk in and out of its doors are fundamental to understanding the Wawa ethos.

“We know how good of a darn community it is and school, and so if we are going to associate ourselves with anyone with a rich history and Princeton, this is it,” Gheysens said.

Assemblyman Reed Gusciora of Trenton, a former 25-year Princeton resident, said the new Wawa has the ability to encourage both employment in Princeton and attention paid to the Arts and Transitarea.

“On behalf of Chris Christie, we want to congratulate Wawa for keeping a presence in New Jersey, keeping the economy going and keeping jobs up. Its tremendous that you are able to employ so many people and take care of them. The family here seems to be all smiles and all dancing," Gusciora said.

Peter Crowley, president of the Princeton Regional Chamber of Commerce, also said the new Wawa is going to help drive the transit area of the University.

“This is no ordinary Wawa. More aptly named the Wa-wow,” Liz Lempert, Princeton mayor, said.

Kristin Appelget, Director of Community and Regional Affairs at the University, also commented on Wawa’s far-reaching impact on the Princeton community.

“You may think of this as a Wawa, but we think of it as a crossroads, a community crossroads, a place where town and gown meet on a daily basis,” Appelget said. “We know that this is a place that changes with the time. I believe the quality of the organization is shown in how they celebrate milestones like this.”

Thomas Letchford ’15 said he feels great about the opening of the new Wawa.

“It’s a party in here today. It's sad to say goodbye to the old classic, the old faithful, but this is fun," Letchford said.

"I come to the Wawa every day. It’s bigger and better, so I'm happy,” Bria Wallace, a Princeton High School student, added.

The celebration concluded with a ribbon-cutting ceremony outside of the store.