Letters to the Editor

Dining plan restricts students' options

The increasing restrictions on Dining Services meal plans are indicative of gross inefficiency, which might be better tolerated if the food were more edible. This is particularly evident in the case of late meals — while very convenient, the astronomical prices in Frist ($2.00 bottled water) combined with the low amount of money they give you to use (perhaps 60 percent of the amount paid per meal on a 20 meal plan) make it impossible to eat well without using two meals. In addition, Dining Services stymies students that try to apply unused meals to yogurt and Powerade by limiting students to two "packaged goods" per late meal. Between the high prices and the fact that they only return a fraction of the money paid, one might expect they could at least allow free choice in what you wanted to purchase.

Moreover, when my brother was visiting several weeks ago I found that I could not even use extra meals in the dining hall — they forced me to use a "guest meal," of which they generously provide five per year — even though I was going to have several meals left over that week. In reality, the amount paid per meal must be even higher, as very few students manage to exhaust their meals in a given week.

Given that freshmen and sophomores are required to purchase meal plans, Dining Services should at least allow us to use our meals in whatever way we see fit — we certainly pay enough for the privilege. If I want to spend my 20 meals on Powerades I should be allowed — if this would cause them to lose money at the prices they charge, maybe they shouldn't pay student workers over $8 an hour to sit around and eat frozen yogurt. Kerry Flannery-Reilly '03