Men's soccer showcases tough defense in shutout victory over Hartwick

It was a feeling the men's soccer team hadn't experienced in a long time: an early lead.

The pressure off the offense to produce goals. The ability to concentrate more on defense. The overall feeling that it was in control of the game. It was a welcome feeling for the Tigers, and Princeton didn't squander it.

The Tigers (6-3 overall, 0-2 Ivy League) received an early game gift in Saturday night's match at Lourie-Love Field against visiting Hartwick (6-5-1). Junior forward Mike Nugent notched his team-leading seventh goal of the season at 15 minutes, 33 seconds into the first half, which was all the Tigers needed for the 1-0 victory.

The Tiger defense and sophomore keeper Jason White shut down the speedy Eagle offense all night long. The defense swarmed Hartwick's forwards, breaking up shots and preventing good scoring opportunities for the Eagles. And when the Tiger defense was pierced, White was ready. The sophomore had 10 saves in Princeton's third shutout of the year.

"The whole team is to be credited," White said. "Our defense, midfield and the forwards all worked on meeting the ball so [Hartwick] couldn't build that much of an attack."

Princeton considered itself fortunate to get a goal in the first half, since it took until the second half for the team to start moving at full speed.

In the first half, the Tigers had difficulty moving the ball upfield. Passes were not well coordinated, and the transition from the midfield to the offense was not smooth. The Tigers got an occasional run at the goal in the first half, but the offense could only muster one real calculated attack on the goal.

Follow-up

That attack came early against the Eagle defense. Freshman midfielder Gianfranco Tripicchio dribbled the ball down the right, and sent a cross in front of the goal to senior forward Matt Striebel, who planted himself in front of Hartwick keeper Randall Moate. Striebel blasted the ball at the net, but Moate was able to get a hand on it, blocking the ball, but sending it back into the box.

Striebel's blocked shot found its way to the feet of Nugent, who took his turn at trying to send the ball past Moate. The Eagle goaltender managed to get another hand on the ball, preventing the goal, but his luck would run out there. Nugent got his own rebound and finally sent the ball into the back of the net on the third chance.

"In the first half, it was nice to have the lead even though we didn't really get it going," head coach Jim Barlow '91 said. "It's been the other way around the last few games."

During Princeton's three-game losing streak, the team fell behind early and struggled to put points on the board against its opponents. Scoring in the first half was an important obstacle cleared by the Tigers in their second-straight victory.

"We knew that Hartwick was going to be one of the best teams we played this year," Barlow said. "They all can handle the ball. They all are comfortable with dribbling it. I thought they spread it out and made it hard for us in the first half."

Revitalized

Even though Princeton did have a 1-0 lead at halftime, Barlow and the Tigers made adjustments and came out as a new team in the second half.

Princeton was more aggressive, and moved the ball downfield more successfully. The midfield was also much more involved in helping out on offense.

"In the second half, I thought we really got tight and did well at defending," Barlow said. "[Junior midfielder] Matt Behncke got really involved in the midfield and on offense."

Behncke pressured Hartwick's keeper in the second half with three shots in the span of four minutes, and was instrumental along with the rest of the midfield in keeping the ball on the Eagle side of the field.