Search committee to convene in October

Though still adjusting to President Shapiro's announcement of his upcoming resignation, University officials now face the task of forming the group that will select the candidates for the University's 19th president.

Board of trustees president Robert Rawson '66 will lead the 18-member presidential selection committee, which includes nine trustees — who have already been named — five faculty members, two undergraduate students, one graduate student and one member of the University staff.

According to a letter sent by Rawson, the speed with which the committee is being assembled reflects the short timetable of the search and the trustees' plan to convene the selection committee in early October.

The five faculty participants will be selected through a vote of the entire faculty, University spokeswoman Marilyn Marks said. "The faculty committee, called the Advisory Council on Appointments and Advancements, has already suggested some candidates," she said. "They are being contacted and if they are interested, they will be put on a ballot to be distributed to the faculty."

The candidates will represent all four branches of the faculty — humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and mathematics. One member also will be chosen from the non-tenured faculty, Marks said.

USG president PJ Kim '01 is one of the two undergraduate students who will sit on the 18-member committee. Kim — who has been authorized by the trustees to select the other student for the committee — received about 100 applications for the open spot and is now preparing to interview candidates.

"It's a pretty diverse group of students. We will finish reading by [today] and then hold interviews [tonight] and Thursday morning," Kim said. "We should have someone by Thursday afternoon."

The graduate student body will be represented on the committee by GSG chair Lauren Hale, who, like Kim, was asked to serve by Rawson. The University staff delegate will be chosen by a staff-wide election.

The committee will meet extensively with groups of University students, faculty and staff to determine what characteristics Princeton's next president should possess, Kim said.

Though Shapiro's selection took only four months, Vice President for Public Affairs Robert Durkee '69 said there is no reason to worry the committee will rush toward a recommendation on this occasion.

"We were lucky," he said. "Fairly early on in the process, the committee began to focus principally on President Shapiro."

Current University administrators will be considered for the position, Durkee said, adding that "the goal of this process is to find the most qualified candidate — whoever that may be."