Letters to the Editor

Vast political and ideological differences separate Rush Holt and Dick Zimmer

In the Sept. 26 'Prince,' Eric Bland '02 argues that Rush Holt and Dick Zimmer are political clones. He is wrong — the two actually have significant differences that students must consider as they vote.

First, unlike the moderate Holt, Zimmer espouses extreme, conservative views on several politically significant issues. Zimmer wants to eliminate the U.S. Department of Education and to cut funding for student loans, Pell Grants and the Environmental Protection Agency. In addition, Zimmer is against the Brady Bill and the assault weapons ban and wishes to restrict a woman's right to choose.

Second, different parties mean different affiliations once in Washington. Even if Zimmer and Holt have similar views on a select group of issues now, once in Congress, both are likely to tow the party line. Zimmer, for example, was a strong Newt Gingrich supporter for years. He was reported to have written part of the Contract with America, and voted for 94 percent of it.

Bland may not admit it, but strong differences exist between the two candidates, ideologically and politically. For those who care about education, women's reproductive health, the environment or gun control, a real choice exists. Seth Green '01