Borough Council promotes Davall to police captain

Princeton Borough Police Lt. Charles Davall will receive a promotion to captain this summer following the retirement of Captain Peter Hanley, the Princeton Borough Council decided last week.

"It's one of the things that you work towards in a career," Davall said. "This is one of the steps to the chief's job. It's exciting."

Davall has worked in the Borough Police Department for 20 years, serving as a lieutenant for the past nine years.

He has also served as Borough Police's primary spokesman following many recent incidents, including Not Dead Yet's protest of the appointment of Peter Singer, last year's Nude Olympics and the November shooting in the Merwick Rehabilitation Unit parking lot.

Borough Council president Roger Martindell, who served as acting Borough Mayor while Marvin Reed was away on vacation, confirmed the council's proposal.

The Borough Council was considering two candidates — Davall and Lt. Anthony Federico — for the promotion. The council approved Davall's appointment in a 5-0 vote.

The salary for a police captain ranges from a minimum of $73,494 to a maximum of $91,134, according to a 1999 Borough Council ordinance.

The lieutenant position vacated by Davall's promotion will be filled, he said. "The testing process should begin soon and one of the sergeants will be promoted," Davall said.

Future changes

Borough Police may need further reorganization next year when Police Chief Thomas Michaud is expected to retire, according to Davall.

"If I were to move up to the chief's position, two sergeants would be promoted to lieutenant, and Lt. Federico would become the next captain," said Davall, adding that these actions are not definite and would have to be considered by the Borough Council and mayor.

Davall was born in Princeton and has lived in the area his entire life. He has strong ties to the University, where both of his parents were employed. His father served as a University proctor for more than 20 years, retiring in 1998. His mother worked in the athletic office as an assistant to the athletic director until a few years ago.