Sports » Women's Lacrosse

Hoyas outlast Princeton women in overtime

No. 19 Princeton and No. 14 Georgetown have always had a contentious history between their women’s lacrosse programs. Since first playing each other 19 games ago, the score has been decided by one goal eight times.

Saturday marked the ninth. The Hoyas (2-1) snuck in a last-minute goal in overtime on Saturday to beat the Tigers (1-2) to earn the 17-16 victory at the Class of 1952 Stadium.

The end result reflected how evenly-played the match was throughout the two halves. Princeton started out barely ahead 4-3 when Georgetown went on a 6-1 run. With under two minutes to go in the first, however, rookie midfielder Anna Doherty converted on a free-position attempt and sophomore attack Alexandra Bruno found the back of the net twice to close the gap to 8-9 going into halftime.

Bruno scored the equalizer when play resumed, but Georgetown rattled off two more in response. It was senior defender Colleen Smith’s first career goal that put the Tigers back in the game and evened the score to 11-10.

“It was really exciting for a couple of us to get our first career goals in such a big game,” Smith said. “For me, I was just in the right place at the right time. I picked up the ball as it bounced in the center circle after a draw with a head of steam and just headed straight to goal.  I thought I was going to pass the whole way down, and I was just trying to draw the double. However, I realized when I got closer to the goal that the pass was blocked off, so I just went for it.  I knew it was an ugly shot, but when I saw it hit the back of the net, I was on such a high!”

The Hoyas, however, broke loose again and went on another three-goal run. The Tigers clawed their way back into contention on a four-goal streak that included first career goals for junior attack Erika Grabbi. The 14-14 tied score, however, was quickly broken as Georgetown found the back of the net twice in a row.

It was then on Princeton’s third-straight free-position shot that freshman midfielder Olivia Hompe capitalized, giving the Tigers the opportunity to equalize the match in the final minutes of the game. The rookie scored her first career goal early in the first half, and this was her third of the game. Hompe made a huge impact again when she assisted junior attack Erin McMunn on the tying goal with 1:36 left to play. Princeton won the following draw and fed Bruno the ball, but a huge stop by Georgetown’s goalie forced the game into overtime. There, Georgetown managed to get all three draw controls and dominated possession time after the Hoyas’ Caroline Tazian scored the winning goal on a shot with her off hand early in the first period.

Hompe powered the Princeton offense, putting up six points on three goals and three assists. Bruno scored a team-best four goals, while senior goalie Caroline Franke recorded 10 saves. Though the teams remained even in draw controls, with Georgetown recording 19 and Princeton 18, the Hoyas outshot the Tigers 34-27 and added 13 ground balls to Princeton’s nine.

“I hope that we can do a better job at getting draw controls, especially at such crucial moments in the game,” Smith said. “But we have so much heart as a team that I do not see this as being a big problem.”

After having lost to then No. 6 Loyola and earning a victory over Garden State rival Rutgers, Princeton faces its first Ivy League opponent of the season next Saturday when the team travels to Providence, R.I. to take on Brown. The Bears have gotten off to a perfect start on their season, winning the first trio of games on their schedule, including a victory over Columbia.

comments powered by Disqus