News

News & Notes: Guyot evacuated after globe catches on fire

A globe inside Guyot Hall caught on fire Friday afternoon during an alumni reception.

University Vice President and Secretary Bob Durkee ’69 was on the scene, but deferred comment to Geosciences Department Manager Nora Zelizer.

At approximately 6 p.m., the motor on the globe caught fire and triggered the fire alarm, Zelizer said. Those inside the building were evacuated, and the Department of Public Safety officers and fire trucks reported to the scene shortly thereafter.

The reception was reportedly almost over, according to Zelizer.

While the firefighters were responding to the incident, events at the Class of 1969’s 45th Reunion tent on Frist Campus Center’s South Lawn went on as normal.

The last fire to be reported at the University was in Whitman College’s dining hall on May 22, when a grill caught fire and caused the evacuation of 250 people at approximately 8 p.m.

comments powered by Disqus