News

News & Notes: 2014 Boston Marathon to expect high police presence

One year after the bombing at the Boston Marathon finish line, runners will take to the starting line for the 2014 Boston Marathon on Monday.

Last year, two homemade bombs made from pressure cookers detonated near the marathon’s finish line on April 15, killing three and wounding more than 260 others.

Dozens of University students, faculty, staff and alumni either ran the marathon or attended the celebrations that accompanied the marathon, and were confirmed safe shortly after the bombs were detonated.

There will be a higher-than-usual police presence at Monday’s marathon, in addition to other security measures, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said on CBS’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday.

“Somebody said it may be the safest place in America tomorrow,” Patrick said.

comments powered by Disqus